PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is a flight instructor?
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2009, 23:00
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What gives you the impression I have a hate on for pilots who have instructor ratings BPF?

Somehow you have gotten confused about my thoughts on the subject, maybe you missed all the times I have said there is no higher calling in aviation than being a flight instructor.

Somehow you have missed all the times I have said that the wages paid to flight instructors is pathetic.

My only dissatisfaction with the training sector of aviation is the low standards that are in place for the certification of flight instructors and the resulting working conditions and pay.

Having owned a flight school and tried to change things for the better and failed in my efforts I not only sold the school but have come to the conclusion that instructing at the ab-initio level is not worth the effort both financially and from a satisfaction standpoint.

What I would like to see is an industry were training is managed by high time well paid pilots, then the progress for the newly rated instructors would be better managed and instructing would be a sought after segment of aviation. The ratio of high time pilots in any given school would have to be high enough that they can and would make sure the new people are trained properly.

As it stands now it is ass backwards and we have students teaching students.

Just to set the record straight B.P.F. I am proud to be a flight instructor even though I no longer hold the rating nor have any desire to.

If I want slave level wages I would look in the lower level of the labour market, trouble is where would you find lower wages as construction ditch diggers are better paid than flight instructors.

It is the system I am unsatisfied with not the pilots as they are victims of the system.

Now are you beginning to understand me?