PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2009, 12:53
paulp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobalt -

Interesting comment on the electrical system. I find the Cirrus system very straight forward with some advantages. It isolates some potential faulty equipment i.e. powers just essential equipment when ALT1 goes down. Then again, on Perspective, that is still almost everything so this has become an almost meaningless feature. I thought there was a manual cross-tie on the Columbia but I could be wrong since it has been awhile. The isolation check on the diodes is quick since you just hit BAT2, flaps to 100%. check flap light off, then Bat2 when lowering flaps for preflight. In either case, I can't knock the Columbia electrical system. From everything I know it is very robust.

I said "interesting comment" because I have become fascinated lately with issues of understanding and ergonomics. For example, I find the G1000 a very nice system but my wife hates it. As I have watched her interact with different systems I have come to appreciate the ergonomics of Avidyne's R9. I have never found the Cirrus electrical system complicated but then I work as an electrical engineer.

with no proper instrumentation
Can you clarify here? I have continuous monitoring of both buss voltages and battery current. What do you find missing?

I agree with your "preferences" comment. I want to be clear that I really like the Columbia and find some aspects of it better done than the Cirrus. The most impressive (to me) thing I ever did in a Columbia was to put it into a 150 kt steep turn, trim, and take my hands off the stick. You can do it in other planes too (including Cirrus) but the ease and stability of the Columbia was impressive. Then again, there are a lot of fine planes out there.