PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2009, 11:53
paulp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the SR22 is a slower aircraft by 10-20 kts
This is not my experience but I am talking about normally aspirate aircraft. Maybe it is true on the turbos. In a head to head fly off a C350 vs. SR22 the speeds were matched on one leg and maybe the C350 was one or two kts faster on the other. I do hear the C400 is faster than the TN22 but the TN22 is more fuel efficient. The C400 is a turbocharged engine while the TN22 is turbonormalized. My CHT's tend to run in the 330 to 340 range. TN CHT's run higher and on a hot day you can't do a LOP climb (have to go ROP). The new air density controller from TAT should fix that when certified. I have flown the plane although my personal plane is not a turbo. The TAT experimental TN22 is actually a little faster than a C400 due to their new controller.

The Cirrus I currently fly struggles to keep CHT reasonable in one cylinder above FL120, but that might be a one-off problem.
I suspect it is.

Other difference to point out, when comparing prices make sure to have A/C on the Cirrus. IIRC, A/C is now standard on the Corvalis line. Also, you can get speed brakes on the Corvalis. They are not available on the Cirrus. I really like speed brakes. Finally, I find my opinion of the handling differs from others. In my opinion the Cirrus is more fun on a VFR day. IT has a high roll rate and reminds me of a sports car I used to own albeit with less control feel than I would like. The Columbia is heavier in this regard. However, I prefer its handling as an IDFR platform which is really the mission of both planes.