PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - War crimes in Afghanistan
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2009, 09:19
GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chugalug2. Thank you for quoting me but it would be appreciated if you would do it in context. Prior to that, I had written;

So criminal acts are criminal and must be investigated and acted upon. I genuinely believe that. I also believe that investigations and actions should not be conducted completely in the open, as they are now.

For the benefit of those who I seem to have confused, my belief is;

a. allegations of criminal acts should be investigated, thoroughly and fairly

b. if the Military has lost credibility to investigate allegations of criminal acts, they should be entrusted to an independent body (it would be preferable if that body was not anti military)

c. individuals found guilty of involvement in criminal acts should be dealt with by the appropriate means

d. allegations of criminal acts should not be investigated as a Media circus with the entire world as its audience. If we are a civilised society, we should be able to trust duly appointed people to handle such matters on our behalf without detailed insight to every sensational/shocking revelation.

e. If investigations must be made public, it should be deferred until after hostilities and aid to the foreign power have ceased. I say that in cognisance of the continuing presence of the RN and other training teams in Iraq, even though British Forces have been withdrawn from armed conflict.