PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAFs first two Wedgetail AEW&C 737 aircraft
Old 27th Nov 2009, 01:45
Flight Detent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys....really!

Looks like every single response post is incorrect in some way...

1 - 'operational', I didn't say at any point they were operational. In fact I said "...(almost)in all their glory!". That will be another year or so, remember they are a developmental airplane!

2 - Your "head and shoulders" are not at risk as aircrew, since there is no access to the warm and humming bits down the back inflight. Maybe if you're a maintenance guy... The forward operational cabin area is quite liveable, and there is a rest area and galley area amidships.

3 - They are quite usable, just not fully usable quite yet.

4 - They have, of course, been fully flight tested within the AAR capability (and every other capability for that matter). The test pilots don't report any handling problems at all, taking into consideration that flying in close proximity to another airplane is not a safe procedure for any airplane.
The handling charactistics in normal ops is slightly different, and the approach speeds have been slightly modified to improve that, but as a '73 pilot, it would be just noticeable. Remember, they are 27K engines.

5 - Make that 3 years, exactly, the original delivery was due on 26NOV06.
VB has been utilizing these pilots to-, as you say, "keep their hand in", and yes there is a fully operational 737AEW&C OFT (the only one in the world) at WLM, and it's amazing to see!
Maybe I can change that to "..that Northrup promised."

6 - and Willoz269, everything you noted there is rubbish. Remember, the project has been designed and built by professionals, it's a first-of-type.
I say again....rubbish!
Remember, it's an IGW 737 with only 21 pob and some electronics stuff, how overweight can that get!
The AFCS operates quite normally, though it's configuration is slightly changed.
"Severely overweight", where did you hear that rubbish.
As a matter of fact, the OFT was decided to be changed to the AEW&C flight characteristics at the last moment, that's how close the flight characteristics were to each other!

Really...it's a great piece of kit!

Last edited by Flight Detent; 27th Nov 2009 at 03:28.