PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2009, 22:39
paulp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Columbia/Cessna or Cessnalumbia built quality bette than Cirrus?
It's weird that Cessnalumbia 400 costs almost 100k more than the Turbo GS Cirrus SR22, though they have similar performance figures...
The Columbia/Csrvalis is an excellent plane although strnone would hate it because it has a free castering nose wheel like the Cirrus. On early examples (circa 2002) I think it showed much better exterior fit and finish than the Cirrus. Today the planes are much closer since fit and finish on the Cirrus has improved from G1 to G2 to G3. I might still give it some exterior fit and finish advantage. It has a lot higher carbon fiber content than the Cirrus. Roll response is heavier but not necessarily in a bad way. Cirrus Perspective is the better avionics package (12" screens, SVT, EVS). The problem I see with the Columbia is that it is an expensive design to manufacture. Control surfaces are an example. On the Cirrus they are aluminum. You save little weight going composite and the control surfaces are simple shapes that are easy to do in aluminum. On the Columbia they are carbon fiber. Columbia doors seal better and have inflatable seals. However, the Cirrus doors make getting in and out of a Cirrus easier. You can stand up straight on the Cirrus wing and step into the back seating area. You have to duck under the gull wing door on the Columbia. The Columbia is slightly more aerodynamic (2 kts or so in real life is my guess) but it comes at the cost of head room. Since the cabins are about the same width this confuses people until the look at the planes head on. The Columbia curves in a lot more at the top of the cabin. I think this gives the Columbia a racier look but the Cirrus feels roomier as a result. Cirrus comes with the BRS parachute system standard. So, for a lower purchase price, the Cirrus gives you a little more room, the parachute and better avionics. Columbia fans would point out however that for a little more money you get what they consider a superior airframe with a higher maneuvering speed, utility category rating and dual wing spars. Both are excellent planes.