PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2009, 18:29
Cobalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many of the things mentioned in this thread are true - even the remarks on poor build quality of the Cirrus (in 15 hours I have not had a single flight where there was not a needless niggle, such as simple gauges U/S or intermittent, a knob coming off, an ALT2 failure due to a loose cambelt, oxygen pressure sensor failure, one cylinder is running a bit hot at altitude, and someone else had a transponder failure - on a brand new 2009 aircraft - perhaps built on a Monday, that one!).

I just don't get why people get so upset about differences that are down to personal preference. Having flown Columbia 400 (50 hours), SR22 Turbo (15 hours so far), and Mooney (>100 hours, albeit only a 201 / M20J and some time ago) I have to say all have their good bits and bad bits.

And yes, I include the saftey record in this - otherwise we would all be driving Volvos.

I prefer the sidestick of the Columbia over the sideyoke of the SR22 and the yoke of the Mooney. I love the crisp controls of the Mooney. I like the Mooney combination of speed and short-ish field capability - the Columbia lacks this. The SR22 is the easiest of the 3 to fly into short fields. I think fixed gears on high-performance singles are stupid.

My passengers like the large interior of the SR22 in the back. I don't like the uncomfortable SR22 seats (alu honeycomb to absorb crash forces). I like two doors, but don't care enough to make that a main criterium. I understand why IO540 begs to differ.

I think CAPS is a good idea and would pay extra if I could get one in a Mooney or in a Columbia, but would not go for a slower aircraft just to get it - family fathers will probably see this differently.

Horses for courses...

and if someone gave any of the three aircraft for free, I would keep it!!!

-------------------

Re castering nosewheels - in a crosswind, these aircraft need to be treated like a taildragger - the flying ain't over until you come to a full stop. On Sunday on roll-out a crosswind gust started to make the aircraft weathervane to the right and it needed a good dab of brake to keep it straight. Also nearly taxied a Columbia into a hangar door once when one of the two brakes failed. I would pay extra for a steered nosewheel on my aircraft because it lowers the risk, but again not important enough to loose much sleep about.

Wouldn't be a problem on a nosewheel aircraft. On the other hand, they turn on a dime...