PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New airspace: Dick Smith
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2002, 04:34
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Capcom, I did not introduce, or support the introduction of user pays. User pays was introduced by Labor in 1988. My position has always been the same. That is, if we are to have user pays we must ensure that we remove every unnecessary cost if we are going to have a viable aviation industry. That is what I have been concentrating on with some success in the last 10 years. There is a list of over 30 substantial items where I have been involved with reform which has removed cost. Most of these changes have been in for many years and have not been reversed or caused any safety problems.

For example, Qantas no longer has to do a complete new re-certification with modifications for a new aircraft. Qantas can accept the certification performed by the FAA. I understand the savings were something like $1 million per model.

In relation to the claim that an aircraft has to be on 2 frequencies in a CTAF, I will attempt to explain - seeing that you will not phone me. If Dubbo was to be Class E airspace, any IFR operators performing an instrument approach to Dubbo would remain on the ATC frequency when in IMC. If VMC existed, the pilot would change to the CTAF frequency when within 10 miles of the aerodrome. When in IMC there is no need to be on the CTAF frequency as VFR aircraft cannot fly in IMC. When in VMC, there is no need to be on the ATC IFR frequency because the system is (and has always been) an alerted see and avoid environment without ATC assistance.

The US system works superbly with many thousands of CTAFs below radar coverage, and well disciplined pilots on one frequency or the other, not on both at the same time.