PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying for Lion Air
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2009, 18:18
indonesia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lion Air Indonesia

Hello,
I also want to do the Test at CAE, although I do not have the money for the typerating, which in AMS is 28.500 Euros! As one can get it on the free market for about 20.000 Euros, I think about 5.000 Euros is the Comission for Lion Air, same like Ryanair! After 60.000 Euros for the ATPL thats a lot of money, again!
As much as I know about Jakarta and Lion Air,I can tell you: The pay is much less, between 21.000.000 and 26.500.000 IDR, which is between USD 2250 and USD 2600 a month. Lion Air pays for the apartement, electricity, water and cleaning. They also provide transport to and from the Airport and they pay the tax for you, that means that money is the net salary. Illness insurance is provided, dental I am not sure about. If you come alone, you will get a shared apartement with another pilot, if you bring your family, you have an apartement for yourself, no sharing! Lion Air does not pay for an international shool, which is quite expensive, about 1100 USD per month per child!
Jakarta is lousy but fun, the indonesian people are very nice, and it is very helpful if you can speak some Indonesian, to get rid of annoying begglars!
I can not say anything about safety standards, I just say that i would not apply for the MD 80, as I know that the maintenance is far below standard, but the Boeing 737-900s are brandnew and Boeing is responsible for the maintenance in the first years of operation,as far as I know, so they should be in pretty good condition!
The contract is for two years and if it is finished before due to bad behaviour of the pilot, a penalty of USD 10.000 has to be paid!
Holiday is 12 days and work on a bi-weekly basis, whatever that means! The information you get from CAE or Lion Air directly is very rare, you have to ask 10 times to get one answer, I dont like that!
Anyway, I wish you all the best, maybe you have some information about the test at CAE for Lion Air? How does it look like? Especially the Aptitude Test? Any kind of preparation you can recommend?

Tha salary sounds low, but living costs in Jakarta are much below that in Europe or the US, the average indionesian salary is about USD 50 a month! Lion Air about USD 30.000 per year.
If you know indonesian people to help you, you can also get an indonesian house for USD 400 for two years, but I think the apartement sponsored by Lion Air is the better choice! Good luck, Mister!