PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax headphone a safety issue?
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2009, 14:00
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the headphones almost exclusively in noise-cancelling mode only, certainly when anywhere near the ground. They make it easier, not more difficult, to hear conversations and announcements and surely there is no electronic or interference issue with them?
I have an ANR headset I use for this purpose. They work by putting anti-noise in your ear to counter external noise. This includes voices. I find they attentuate voices coming over a PA as well, as they are designed to do!

However, using aheadset during take-off leads people to assume you are using an electronic device, probably for music. The cabin crew don't have time to come up and touch your shoulder, ask the question a second time, and get fobbed off with 'it's just a headset!'. There is no time for a discussion before take-off! All they want is everything off....do what you like after take-off! In the meantime, very often the pilots are champing at the bit on the runway with another aeroplane on finals and desperately waiting for the 'cabin secure' call from the cabin crew, which is not coming because they are trying to get your headset off your ears! Meanwhile, the incoming aeroplane has had to go around and use 800kgs of fuel, the tower is shouting at the pilot, and 23 spotters are going to enter a Go-around in Pprune with 23 sorts of different scenarios that didn't happen, implying the pilot and/or ATC screwed up in some way!

Just take the damn thing off until they say you can put it on!