PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African ATC
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2009, 13:51
Late 1976

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Giannni17,

That's no fair!! Have you actually worked in SA. How would you feel if people were advised not to fly into your country? Your statment regaring our ATM manual are exaggerated! I'm not sure what you mean by single man ops though. We have one ATC on position, not backed by an executive ATC, if that's what you mean?? If that is the case, we simply don't have an executive because of too little staff.

I fail to understand how the practice of using "to" is potentially dangerous in a knackered brain. Besides, who's brain are we talking about? If it's the pilot's brain, then that is why there are generally two of them, and why they've done a CRM course!

I stand corrected, but isn't this ICAO Recommended Practice?

I have yet to have one query from a pilot regarding his Flight level allocation because I have used the RT "to" during his climb or decent. We also teach students that if they could pause between "decent to (pause) Flight Level Two Two Zero.

What we also use, is RT like Flight Level Two Hundred, Three Hundred etc., opposed to Flight Level Two Zero Zero etc. What are the general thoughts on that?