PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African ATC
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2009, 12:47
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not so hard on him?

So what are you saying? The guys there should do nothing and just continue on under their inept leadership, bowing their heads and just accepting their lot? A rare opportunity has presented itself to actually get some leverage in their desire to improve their conditions. I thought it would be natural to expect some ill-will towards people from elsewhere who have NO CARE WHATSOEVER about the impact their arrival will have on that position. They would merely be coming for a short-term change of scenery, without taking any of the pain that will endure on those expected to train them. Let them come on "local conditions" if this is all so altruistic!
This whole I-hate-the-management-whoever-they-are is really starting to get a bit tiring.
Probably notable in this industry due to the crystallisation effect of the lack of portability of skills. There is only usually one ANSP in every country, so the ability to up and 'leave if you dont like it' is drastically reduced. The effect is two-fold; bad management perpetuates because there is no competition/change driver, and ill-will festers because employees feel trapped. Very very few actually leave, regardless of how unhappy they are.
I don't think any of the formerly interested foreign ATCO:s knew about this. Therefore- don't blame them!
Ignorance as an excuse? Interesting idea.....