PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar forces wheelchair passenger to crawl across tarmac
Old 26th Nov 2009, 12:33
pcx

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does Jetstar charge disabled pax more than an able bodied pax to provide the level of service required by the disabled. I suspect not.

It must cost Jetstar more to carry a disabled pax then an able bodied one and provide the level of service that they do. I accept that this level of service does not meet with your approval, however they do provide a service to their disabled pax that they do not need to provide an able bodied pax.

So how then can you contend that jetstar are "profiteering of the backs of disabled pax". That is really just an emotional statement without foundation.

After my previous post you said that my comment:-

"To say that this was taking away his independence is probably true to a limited point, however there are some limitations that have to be accepted when one becomes disabled for any reason."

To say that this was taking away his independence is probably true to a limited point, however there are some limitations that have to be accepted when one becomes disabled for any reason.
was:-

"one of the dumbest thinks I have ever heard anyone say and speaks volumes to your incredible lack of compassion."

For me to make this statement says nothing about my compassion or lack of it. It is a statement of fact.

The cold hard fact is that there are some things that disabled people can not do. In our industry a couple of them would be:-

Occupy an exit row seat
Be employed as a pilot on an airline jet.

On the day in question another was that Mr Fearnly would be required to check his wheelchair at check in.

His subsequent behaviour did him and his cause absolutely no credit.

I made no comment on Jetstar's policy. This is because I am of two minds.

Jetstar could improve their policy.

However, Jetstar have set out a business model for their version of a LCC. The services that they provide are based on their model. Comparisons with other LCC's are not valid as their business model will vary from Jetstar's. The services and T&C's that they provide for the fare they charge are set out in their web site and are available from other sources.

Nevertheless, Mr Fearnly chose to fly Jetstar and thus accepted their terms and conditions.

By all means attempt to force Jetstar to change those terms and conditions if you wish. But do so in an appropriate way.

As I said, I do not like some of Jetstar's t&c's so I choose not to fly with them.