PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Water Bomber for Victoria
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2009, 09:33
FarmerPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Senior Pilot.
I'd query that assertion: there are very few ex mil UH1's in Oz, and most of your medium Helitacks in Victoria are one Bell 205 (civil variant of the UH1, but dual hydraulics, etc) and a lot of contract Bell 212/412's. No ex Vietnam Hueys at all
It seems possible that I've been misinformed, or simply got the wrong end of the stick on the subject of their service. It wouldn't be the first time I've made a blue.

On the other hand, it would seem that there are definitely Huey's working fire in NSW.

I apologise for the poor quality of the photograph, but here are HT205/VH-ONZ and HT282/VH-RSL returning to Grafton after working out of Nymboida. They did good work stopping a backburn that jumped the break in half a dozen places, and made some boys on the ground very happy.

The following aircraft are on the NSWRFS List of Approved Aircraft for 2009/10 season. All, apart from HT276 are listed as UH-1H variants.

HT205/VH-ONZ
HT276/VH-UHF (UH-1B)
HT346/VH-UHH
HT271/VH-HUE
HT272/VH-LUE
HT282/VH-RSL
HT263/VH-CPO
HT442/VH-UEE

That's ignoring McDermot's trio of 205-1As.

Humour a simple country lad if you will, and don't hit me over the head too hard for believing what I've seen in the official documentation.

Regards..... Peter