PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar forces wheelchair passenger to crawl across tarmac
Old 26th Nov 2009, 04:27
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boomerang_Butt

so why complain that JQ were not following policy?
We’re not saying they weren’t following policy. We’re saying their policy was wrong.
I know several people in wheelchairs and they have said to me they prefer to transfer at check-in rather than be 'on the spot' at the gate in front of everyone else.
And all those airlines that I mentioned also allow disabled pax to transfer at check in if they so wish. Jetstar and Tiger don’t give disabled pax any choice. So much for their advertising slogan “CHOICES”.
I know each case is different but it seems to me that this man could have brought up his issues with the policy in a better way.
I’m sorry but it would have fallen on deaf ears. To get any large company to change a policy is like extracting teeth. Been there done that.
They offered an alternative, he chose not to use it.
Because it wasn’t a self propelled wheelchair. It required someone to push it and if you have spent any time around paraplegics you would understand how some absolutely loath being pushed anywhere. A sense of loosing their independence and being a burden on society is what usually triggers this loathing.
At the end of the day JQ are still a business and given that people want to fly on cheap fares, there are shorter turnarounds which mean less time to do things like take pax chairs at the gate. Maybe that's the reason for the policy of taking chairs at check-in?
If Ryanair and Southwest Airline, two LCC’s that Jetstar have modelled themselves on can offer this choice then so can Jetstar.
All respect but it seems to work fine for the majority of passengers travelling with wheelchairs that use JQ.
Most pax using wheelchairs aren't paraplegics. They're elderly pax with mobility issues who would prefer someone pushing them anyway.
Perhaps it needs to be refined but I wouldn't say it is outright WRONG...
It's outright wrong when it doesn't consider the special needs of parapligic pax.

Mr. Hat & OZBUSDRIVER

That is your opinion. I just don’t agree with you.