PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar forces wheelchair passenger to crawl across tarmac
Old 26th Nov 2009, 03:11
pcx

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jetstar publishes their wheelchair policy.
It is available for every one to read.
Certainly someone in a wheel chair could be expected to make enquiries at the time of booking.
If Jetstar's wheelchair policy was not acceptable to Mr Fearnley he should have either booked with another carrier, or, at the time of booking, attempted to negotiate a suitable arrangement for himself.
To behave the way he did is unacceptable and just demeans him.
Not only that but he will have caused unnecessary distress to the Jetstar staff who were following their company policy and more than likely embarrassed a large number of other passengers and staff who had to witness his performance.
To say that this was taking away his independence is probably true to a limited point, however there are some limitations that have to be accepted when one becomes disabled for any reason. Since he chose to fly Jetstar this was one of them.
If he feels that Jetstar's policy is discriminatory or demeaning then,by all means, he should try to have it changed. This was not an appropriate way.
By the way, I do not like some of Jetstar's policies so I do not and will not fly with them. Should I ever decide to do so I will be acknowledging the policies and accepting them. To subsequently try to have them changed at the check in counter in just not on.