PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pending clearance??
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2009, 00:45
the air up there

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight thread drift here, but I think the whole standard of radio/airmanship has slipped.

Example this morning in a CTAF.

"Traffic XXXX, ABC an IFR (type) taxi's RWY 09 for YYYY, now on the runway back tracking"

Forgive and please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the purpose of the taxi call to notify aircraft in the area that you are now intending to commence operations. A pause allows any inbound aircraft to notify the taxying aircraft of intentions so seperation can be organised.

Also, what is the point of making an entering and back tracking call in the same radio call when you are already on the runway?

Whilst I understand everyones frustration at slighly wrong, or inappropriate phraseology on the radio, at least if the calls are helping the pilot increase situational awareness then that can surely be accepted. Examples of the above are heard all to frequently at busy CTAFS and CTAF(R)'s and is a massive safety issue when the first you know of an aircraft when you are inbound/in the circuit is when it makes it's first broadcast half way down the runway.