PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks on Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2009, 22:42
Sick Squid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've lost count of the number of times I've been targeted, (basically because I have trouble counting beyond 5... 4 times I think it is,) and indeed was the Captain on one of the major incidents referred to on this thread about 18 months ago. On the most recent incident I was targeted twice on the same approach into Heathrow.

Does the Bolkow have special powers? I thought of that straight-off as a glib statement but thought it through, and it is actually a serious point. Special powers? I don't know, but one of the luxuries it DOES have (over and above the IR cameras) is time; time to hang around and fine-tune the location of the idiot perps and that coupled with the local knowledge of the crew perhaps DOES add up to being a special power. But then all Police Helicopters will have the same; perhaps most of them happen to be Bolkows.

Time is a luxury those of us in commercial airliners do not have, neither is the willingness necessarily to risk more damage by staring down the eye of the green shaft. However, one of my copilots was recently targeted into London as well, and I flew with him not long after the event He managed to nail the location down to one of two houses, and apparently the police were very impressed with that. When they asked him how he'd managed that, the answer was simple; he'd not too long ago been flying close air support in Harriers, and was well up to speed on target-spotting, and armed with that experience and an OS map was able to give them some serious gen. Don't know the outcome yet, but it inspired me so last time I was targeted I took a good note of the area, DME's, radials etc. and got onto Google Earth as soon as I could, appending my rough and very raw data to the ASR.

Best I could do was about a block at best, maybe two. But it might be worth bearing in mind if it happens to you.

Squid