PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet pilots - a "wind" question if I may......
Old 20th Jun 2002, 22:59
No Further Requirements

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thnaks for the replies.....

Thanks for all the feedback on my question. About the little article in the NT News, the runway had a displaced threshold of about 1000M (or one third of the total length). I tried last night letting EVERYONE know on first contact the actual wind as reported by a 737 just landed, ie, 15 kts up the clacker until 300ft and then 4 kts tailwind. He suggested we switch runways for departures (which we did). All the arrivals (DHC8, B737, BA46 and PA31) accepted the wind as is. Full length was available. So I guess it is up to ATC to pass the exact wind (and get the reports on final) and let the PIC decide. This of course depends on what the duty runway is and how the arrival/departure sequence unfolds as to how flex the runway allocation is.

On a side note, the main reason I asked this question is becuase I hear tower controllers get curry from (some) jet pilots in the form of "Tower, we had a 15kt tailwind at 1000ft" in a not to pleased tone. Some controllers are smart and say "Thanks, but you did have a 15 kt headwind on landing didn't you?" or "Thanks, I will let the next guy know". However, what do they want us to do about it? Would 1000ft wind on the ATIS help if it is a#$e about from the surface wind? I just don't like people getting grilled when they don't know about the wind. The only instuments we have are on the surface.

Again, thanks for the previous posts and keep them coming....

NFR.