PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are BA pilots frightened of being caught?
Old 12th Apr 2001, 21:36
Pontius

Cool

One of the BIG problems I have with this whole random drink/drugs testing is that it is ONLY BA who is doing it. Now, the cynic in me still reckons it's another prat manager's knee-jerk reaction to the ridiculous debacle on C4...but 'they' keep telling me it's not that at all. I ask what it's all about then and 'they' can't answer that. They've given a committment (strangely coinciding with C4) and now it's a good case of Thatcher's 'No U-Turns' policy.

IF (and that's a huge IF) our Lords and Masters at the CAA think there is a problem why have they not introduced an industry-wide policy of testing? Why are the idiots at Waterside pressing ahead with their own agenda (again) and setting themselves up for another confrontation when we say 'no'.

It's interesting to see that if the suits get their way and come up with their own, special, BA only type test, then it will require a change of contract for the pilots. Guess who will not be signing that!!

I've got nothing to hide and I have no sympathy for idiotic crews flying when under the influence. We are all professionals and 99.9% of us would never do anything so stupid. If the CAA considers that too many, then let THEM institute a testing policy across the whole industry for ALL operational staff. After all; the pilots might be stone cold sober but pissed cabin crew are hardly going to be a help with an evacuation.

If you're a BA manager (I use the term loosely) then wise up. BALPA (and that means us) are not going to accept YOUR testing and it would do us all a lot of good if you'd stop wasting my profit-share on another ridiculous scheme. Wait and see if the professionals at the Belgrano have something to say about it before launching off on your own self-justifying campaigns and stop reacting to some silly little tart with a camera, who after 40 hours of filming only proved 2 people had been drinking outside the limits.

Rant not over yet.

Pontius

------------------
You Ain't Seen Me - Right !!