PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2009, 21:05
uklad007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
am guessing no one is surprised by these figures now this late on in the year.....they are bad we know this - but given that we have for our scheduled 3x70 seat rotations to AMS (some of which get canx on a weekend) 2x29 seats to SOU (5 days a week) 4x29 seats to ABZ (5 days a week) + 1x29 seats on a Sunday and is it one weekly charter now to Spain - we cant be surprised at 58% drops on a YOY basis.

Just read on DTV website the availability of 34000 seats on Ryanairs two routes during the summer (same as this year!).... i think we can safely still make the announcement of "mind the gap" between MME in 2010 and MME pre 2008

At the risk of being put in a cage and asked to say whos a pretty boy then due to repeating here what is already been said a million times I cannot imagine for the life of me why the airport isnt able to attract one...just one... loco (i know airlines are having it tough and we have other airports around us with airlines full of shiny and not so shiny planes) to operate to at the very least the Costas, Balearics, Canaries and at a push to capitalise on what is also popular at the moment - Turkey/Cyprus. I am sure the old catchment customer base of MME has not stopped going on holiday (credit crunch or otherwise) to the point that no flights at all are viable from MME. All i hear when someone from that area goes on vacation and has to go from another airport is - "i wish we could go from Teesside" my parents have flown from Glasgow, Manchester and Newcastle since the locos pulled out - and am sure they wouldnt if a local option was there.
and finally.....if MME doesn't get a Jersey next year from flybe (or similar) the management might as well just work from home going forward and put MME forward for the most carbon neutral airport in the world - which we will win, everyone will want to visit the green airport and airlines will be stacking over Yarm to get in......although as soon as someone turns on the engine of one of those buses (assuming they are still there!!!) our crown will be lost!

Note: On purpose i didnt open up the debate about a route to London for fear of hearing take the train (well NXP couldnt even get that right, they took it back to No10, which is a little more central thank Kings Cross!!!)...with BMI gone, its the car now, until BA launches a 4x daily from LHR on one of its last remaining B757's