PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 25th Nov 2009, 13:06
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Horror Box:
FH1100pilot, just to try and clarify, as I think a fair bit of confusion is slipping in - to the best of my knowledge, the 10 hour inspection is on the mounting feet of the MGB, not the oil filter housing studs.
I understand that. But with the issue of the mounting feet cracking we suddenly have turned away from the fact that the S-92 main transmission no longer meets FAR Part 29 certification standards. SAC was quite obviously WRONG about the cooler being the "only" source of an oil leak. Changing from titanium bolts to some new metal does not guarantee that the problem is solved with respect to a possible leak at the filter. If cracks can form in other places (mounting feet, etc.) is it totally impossible for a crack to occur in the transmission case itself?

So.

Do we just forget about it? Do we just say that the 30-minute "run dry" capability is of no real, practical use or value in the real world, so why require it at all?