PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy worse than Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2009, 08:56
siftydog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The laws of cost control and supply and demand are such that this issue isn't going away in a hurry.

Probably the only arguement that stacks against mass sourcing from CTC and other such providers is safety.

I'm not taking a pip against individuals here; the schools turn out an excellent product. As a 10 year skipper with easy I've seen standards slowly drift as the airline sources the least experienced applicants from the cheapest sources. No, I'm not saying these guys aren't up to the job and there shouldn't be any of them, but a sensible recruitment program would see a mix of experience and backgrounds.
I'll put my hand up now and say I've made a couple of bold decisions over my flying career that a seasoned F/O would have challenged and quite rightly denied me. CTC cadet just doesn't have the grounding to see trouble in the making.

Curiously, all this is contradicted in the safety statistics. But remember, Easyjet like many operators now has a comprehensive FDM system that provides a rigid set of compliance gates that can make poor airmanship or bad decision making look like a perfectly regular flight. Also remember the equipment has changed; it's comfy seat, push button, meal off a table, always an easy day out really. Like driving a bus- or is it?