PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel-Air Westwind Ditching off NLK
Old 25th Nov 2009, 04:00
boeingbender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could I suggest to boeingbender and GADRIVR with their hypotheses about wrong frequency selections and Guard police that they might do well to apply Occam's Razor? Occam's Razor
Andu, that is an interesting proposition in a philosophical context, but I believe it is inappropriate and misplaced in an investigation into an accident or occurrence. It would imply that once you have identified A SINGLE PLAUSIBLE causation, the job is done and you can move on. This however, is a methodology completely contrary to what is required by an accident investigator, as he need to examine EVERY POSSIBLE scenario, exclude them after they are found IMPLAUSIBLE and move on narrowing it down to the most plausible explanation(s).

I don't really want to be a party-pooper and recognize the desire to speculate on why this happened. I have only tried to lower certain self-pronounced experts in their eagerness to show us all how clever they are in using their vast intellect
I have as much experience and knowledge as some NZ accident investigators and MUCH higher intellect
to explain to us dumb-arses who prefer to wait until the facts are on the table. This whole discussion is leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth and a sense of embarrassment on behalf of members of my profession, so I shall remove myself from PPRUNE for another few years and leave the sand box to you kids (I am not including you Andu in this assessment) - young and old.
See ya'll later.