PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 24th Nov 2009, 21:07
Horror box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FH1100pilot, just to try and clarify, as I think a fair bit of confusion is slipping in - to the best of my knowledge, the 10 hour inspection is on the mounting feet of the MGB, not the oil filter housing studs. In fact the inspection has nothing to do with the filter housing as that particular fault has now been "cleared" with modification, however they are still subject to regular inspection and monitoring. The mounting cracking is an entirely different issue and not to be confused with the shearing of the retaining studs on the oil filter housing, the believed cause of the Cougar accident. I am pretty sure we have been round this a couple of times now. The main difference as I see it is that inspection of the mounting feet will very likely detect a crack or weakness before it manifests itself in a catastrophic failure, and the 10 hours is a realistic and practical approach. The issue with the filter housing studs, was that of a material failure, and deemed that the use of titanium instead of steel was a likely design flaw, and weakness, therefore inspection of this area would have been of little use.