PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferrying a Plane from USA to Sydney - Any tips?!
Old 24th Nov 2009, 20:43
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course the ditching case that I failed to mention is the nighttime case where the plane end up upside down and you have to wait while the cabin fills with water until you can open the doors.

You may want to consider taking some 'spare air'

Then if you get out you can look forward to attempting to climb aboard your raft, assuming that it got out and you are holding the lanyard, oops i forgot, turn it up the right way first. This should be easy job in 3 meter waves with a 5 metre swell at night, wearing a life jacket. did i mention to not wear lace up shoes/boots they are so much harder to take off , runners would be ok i suppose. expect to be tipped out of the raft once or twice during the night.

Have you ever been in a 'dunker', or seen a dunker even? then imagine that at night but without the guys with the scuba tanks just outside, in a cold cold ocean a long way from mum and the kids, mind you that just made me think of my ex and I would rather be bobbing in a cold, cold ocean than in the same house as her!!

After a few days (this is unlikely cos if you got out OK you will be picked up relatively quickly) you start to wonder which part of your mate to eat first, sushi style. Did you remeber to include wasabi in the survival kit?

Have fun either way, but given the option.....ship by container, swim in your back yard pool and eat fillet steak.

HD