PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Favorite Experiences in Aviation
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2009, 20:31
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In few short years:

First Solo - ASK13. Waited for ages, then it just happened. Felt very aware there was no safety net! Don't remember my first powered solo..

14,000 over Mt Cook in a glider. Super smooth, quiet, surreal.

Night Navex to N.Victoria and back - aforementioned DCT-ML-DCT-YMMB; traffic on your left is.. watching a 737 slide by in the dark, waving like nutters

QXC before work one morning. Walked in at 9.30 to join the rat race having flown to the grampians and back..

*finding* YWMC first time - using 'conventional' nav, no GPS (as a green city pilot too..) It does work then! Also Lake Eyre, & large sections of central aus from 9,500 frequently above the clouds. Shute harbour (the only place I've bounced a 172 )

Sydney harbour orbits/Victor1

Short field landing in a decathlon, general tailwheel flying. One time rides in a DHC1 Chipmunk - just because - and an Extra - for clinical, precise madness. Recently starting on the pitts - highs and low's, but when you get it right you feel pretty special. Seems to have a timely habit of reminding you you're not.. (and the antithesis of the extra)

Never having to think of what to do as goes a date.. "hey, I'm off to <blah> on sunday, spare seat if you fancy it" (usually was off there too..) On the same theme landing after aeros with a far from unattractive female friend. Sits there for a second, then with the biggest grin imaginable "Oh my g**, you are awesome". Game on then

A stall turn in the rain - for that brief split second the raindrops hung stationary alongside. Sunset from the air, rainbows.. so many things I'd otherwise never have seen.

If I ever add up what I've spent, it makes me go cold, but I'd not trade it for any amount of beer, flash tv's etc..