PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind calculation with gust factor.
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2009, 19:10
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I guess you must be diverting quite a lot and never facing strong crosswinds if they are so risky! I have known 40 kt crosswinds. On the day, it comes down to the winds you get from the tower approaching the threshold and your own judgement, within the constraints of the Ops Manual. It is very much left to the discretion of the Captain on the day. With a lot of experience, even a strong gusty crosswind, in the right hands, is not a problem. That is why I wince when I hear of the 'superpilots'- captain of a 747 at 27 years of age, or a 737 captain at 24. I have seen weather that is unbelievable. I doubt whether they have had the experience to experience such conditions enough. Fine, if their judgement is good enough to make the right decision to GA at the right time. We have in our team pilots coming up who regularly now bang off limiting crosswind landings in one of the world's windiest places- Iceland. An email I received a couple of weeks ago
...You will be amused to hear that the wind on Sunday was 160/50G60....a very sporty approach!! We love it here!
The runways are 10 and 19. We're doing this as a normal operation every day, safely and regularly. The guys are getting terrific experience and are becoming the best in the air. So I'm really not very impressed with your
See fig 13, where the crosswind includes the gust; the risks during landing increase rapidly above 15kts.
Sorry, but our guys and banging 'em out several times a day in that (and I do apologise, even one lady as well)! Come and get some hairs on your chest!

Look at your graph of wind on page 13. I repeat, <<a gust is only a short duration peak of the wind>> The wind is what the tower gives you, gusts are short term peaks over a period. What hope do we have of defining crosswind limits if people are going to quibble over a definition like this? As as for including gusts fully in a crosswind limit, all I can say is 'move over- there are thousands willing to do your job properly!'

Last edited by Rainboe; 24th Nov 2009 at 20:34.