PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continually failing RAF Fitness Test.
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2009, 12:01
SCAFITE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future

I read this thread with great interest, having done my bit in the RAF from 1976 to 2002 and keeping myself fairly fit with Hill Walking, running and a bit of swimming, plus passing whatever fitness test was chucked at me. But times seem to have changed and will change even more in the near future for the Royal Air force. I started regular OOA from 1991 onwards, but nothing like what the current folks are doing in some of the most intense period of RAF operations for donkey’s years, coupled with more crap than ever and fitness testing which seem to be organised at the top by folks who have probably never done one. I think we all understand the need for basic fitness in the RAF especially the need to be able to complete OOA or whatever they are called today in a deployable Air Force, but threatening good folk who have given years of service with pass this or you are out on your arse with no pension (roomers on E-Goat) is disgusting and insulting to personnel across all ranks. The latest news on the prospective cuts to the RAF in the Times in which it will be cut from 40,000 to 30,000 will leave little or no time to sh*t never mind spend time down the gym. The country is slowly coming out of recession and jobs will be out there especially for guys and girls from the RAF with skills that industry wants and especially in the logistics field which is the fastest growing sector. I have worked with both the Army and the RAF Regt in my time and both those organisation were on the whole more fitter than the average RAF person, but their day when in barracks or station was quite structured and compulsory PT and battle training was part of the normal working day so they should be fitter. If I was in now and done enough time for my immediate pension I would be calling it a day. A word of warning to all those who love all this fitness testing and would stick their heads in a bucket of Sh*t if the RAF asked them to, you will get older and your body will fail and the RAF will crap on you and there will be little sympathy. Something stinks about all this and the RAF is looking to save money and anybody weak best look out. During the drawdown of the RAF from 89,000 to 50,000 during the 90s the admin trade was kept fairly strong but once they had done the dirty deed they were cut to the bone, so PTIs once you have done all your failing as the test becomes harder and harder you lot will be tossed to one side.
To all the current serving members of the Royal Air Force who are putting up with so much you have my admiration (apart from the ones with their head in the bucket)

Last edited by SCAFITE; 24th Nov 2009 at 15:33.