PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2009, 07:39
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ORAC
As you're not bothered about severing one of your 'last ongoing connections' with your former career, and have used the club only once in 35 years, then your decision is probably sensible for you.

I found myself going to the club regularly as a guest and, when I found out that I was eligible (ex-UAS) to join as an Affiliate Member, I did so. Conscience as much as anything, as I’d enjoyed the club so often as a guest.

I’ve never stayed but understand the 82 rooms are allocated in order of booking. There are busy periods, but I’ve known friends get in at very short notice. eg After a good evening when they’ve decided against trying to get home.
The rates aren’t unreasonable given the location and quality. Tariffs

Wrathmonk
Things may change (who knows?) but, at present, serving/veterans far outnumber never-served members. I always go to the club with serving/veteran members and, without exception, they’ve bumped into lots of people with whom they are serving or have served. Usually in the pub in the basement.

Farfrompuken is right. Room rates are discounted 50% for Serving Members who've been in theatre.

Given the prime location in the heart of the West End, the magnificent building and the excellent facilities, the annual sub is very low. (Much less than comparable clubs in London.)
Serving: Half of one day's pay plus VAT based on the first level for each rank.
Former Serving/Foreign Serving/Affiliate Members: £124.00 incl VAT.