PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Soldier refused service in Witney pub . . . because he was in uniform
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 23:21
NP20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking as a Ground Trade Type...

I have to say that on the basis of twenty-something years of Service as an airman I agree with Mr Hinecap. Outside of the eng personnel on a typical fg sqn there are generally only a handful of airmen (NCA aside) for the tens of JO Aircrew to have experience of managing, and in many cases these will be 'managed' by Ops Spt officers, particularly the Opsys and Int personnel. These ratios do not lend themselves for the majority of JO Aircrew to actually manage/lead/career develop us enlisted personnel.

There will obviously be exceptions, as TheWizard notes, but this surely isn't the norm for the majority of JO Aircrew. Or was the collective experience of those aircrew types on Mr H's JOCC an anomaly?

He's right about the average ground trade airman's knowledge of Air Power as well. There has been a concerted effort to increase this level of knowledge with lectures/modules now included at RTS, the various courses at ACS and by FDS at station level, but it still has a long way to go; I for one welcome it.