PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Bloodhound'
Thread: 'Bloodhound'
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 20:18
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
I was a 'Gold' sponsor (G323) for Thrust SSC as the supersonic land speed record was something we simply had to win for the UK. Several of us also donated a fair amount of cash so that there was enough fuel for the final runs....

But somehow a mere number, 1000 mph, impressive though it is doesn't really have the same impact. Not to decry Noble's effort and Dead Dog's bravery, but this isn't really as significant as the first supersonic LSR.

Sadly, the ignorant genpub were pretty indifferent about Thrust SSC. I doubt whether they'll be any more supportive for Bloodhound.

One of the problems encountered by Thrust SSC was the massive drag rise as it went supersonic. Despite the available thrust, it never did make its target design speed of 850 mph. My theory is that the bow shock pulverised the surface to such an extent that, that instead of being firm, it became friable and the difference was akin to the difference between running on a cinder track and running across a ploughed field (or, more accurately, a seed bed).

Good luck to all involved though!

Last edited by BEagle; 24th Nov 2009 at 09:37.