PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 17:57
11K-AVML

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE: Swiss Op by bmi, LHR-GVA GVA-LHR

This is surely more of a ploy to retain the slots in bmi's favour and provide a cash boost to bmi (through the leasing contract) without the need for a direct cash injection. Probably has its tax advantages too... (I'm no accountant though).

In terms of "bmi" verse "British Midland"; remembering a workshop I attended about Intellectual property and more relevant to this discussion, Trade Marks,
I suspect that a trade mark of "British Midland" could be challenged should another party try to use it or something similar. Since it is geographically relevant to the Midlands there would be a possibility that its use would become restricted to the Midlands whilst another party could use it or something similar in another part of the country.
This wouldn't be a particularly strong argument if the airline could demonstrate it had brand presence through the UK (I bet it struggle to do this) but it is still a risk nonetheless.

bmi on the other hand is not constrained in this way and so avoids this pitfall.

Again, I'm no expert...but this is PPRuNe after all!
Would be very interested to here from an expert on these things those to either deny or confirm this assertion/belief.