PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Soldier refused service in Witney pub . . . because he was in uniform
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 15:14
Mr C Hinecap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cazatou - you misunderstand me. I don't equate CO with OC - a Det Cdr or Stn Cdr has several levels of management between them and the airmen who are experienced in flight and squadron commanding.
My point is that aircrew generally don't have any experience of day to day management and leadership of non-commissioned personnel. JOCC was a real eye-opener when us blunt types watched the aircrew 'catch up' on report-writing, discipline procedures, charges and interview techniques that we'd used since day 1.
I don't know any aircrew who have had the fear of a Friday morning after hearing the lads got into a 'bit of bother' down town on Thursday night - or that had to deal with the aftermath of a Sqn beercall that went a bit wrong. This is a part of why I see such libertarian views from the aircrew on this thread.
Discipline has taken a dive in recent years as we've got a bit more fluffy. Younger recruits reflect society and behaviour that would never have been tolerated is now the norm - including more drink-related trouble. I'm very much up for having a good time, but self-policing rules on being in pubs in uniform are crazy. The line is drawn at the door and that is where it should remain.