PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel-Air Westwind Ditching off NLK
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 09:20
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gunger, the discerning reader of this thread will have come to the following conclusions,
1. A serviceable aircraft was parked at a level below the Mean Low Water Springs Tidal level
2. No mayday or other communication was given regarding a possible ditching ergo ditching was unintentional ergo CFIT
3. It follows from 2. that no exceptional skill was necessary in the fortuitous outcome
4. On the face of apparent evidence the aircraft was not carrying the necessary fuel as mandated by my reading of the regs.
5. None of the foregoing is criticism of the operating crew since so many other factors come into play eg training, pressure from management, experience
6. I could agree with ZB's erudite "a long walk off a short pier might help", but assume you have the crews interests at heart. The necessary information is there for a reasonable conclusion to be made, and I would be surprised if there were to be too many surprises in the official report (my conclusion). Much is made of the Kangaroo Court attitude of some on these threads, and some do come across that way, but the discerning aviator, whether they be amateur or professional, only have an interest in learning how a fellow practitioner of the art managed to come to grief. We are all fallible.