PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Annual Hours
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 09:03
Hamish 123

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I get a bit annoyed at the perpetual "if you have to carefully count the hours to make it up to 12 in the second year, you're a) probably not safe & b) wasting money" argument, and find it highly specious.

Like a great many PPLs, my job is Monday to Friday, with little opportunity to fly during the week, so my windows for flying are restricted. I also have a family. Money is not unlimited. I have other interests. And probably most importantly, the weather in the UK has been shockingly bad since I got my PPL three years ago. The result of all this is that my planned flying has necessarily been severely limited. It's not how I intended it, but there you are. When I do fly, I do not believe that I am any more unsafe than most other PPLs. In fact, complacency is the last thing I think anyone could accuse me of.

Furthermore, I would hazard a guess that my situation is probably far from unique for the majority of PPLs.

So please, enough of this fallacy that you should be flying at the drop of a hat, piling up the hours, and making the 12 required every second year a straighforward task. It just ain't like that in real life.