PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unemployed and Underground ...
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 07:05
Wannabe Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frecius

Thanks Freicus!

However I am genuinely confused. As a 15 year old kid once upon a time when I was upto the usual mischief and not too focused on career thought processes amongst other grown up things, I had to take a tough call on what subjects to choose post Class 10. Chem bored me, Physics I liked, Maths was Ok and not really a hassle, but I loved Commerce Geography and History. My grades reflected this too, but that did not mean I was daft and should be excluded from certain career choices.

At 15 when priorities revolve around sports, fun, girls and other such things I don't think I made the entirely correct choice, which later resulted in me having to resign flying to a hobby vs a Career.

Few years later I had the good fortune of getting a first hand experience of the American Schooling system which has kids studying all subjects upto the 12th and then taking electives in college for 2 years before declaring their major ie: At the Age of 20 when they are better positioned to make the choice.

Friends of mine from this system had made and jumped diverse choices and it amazed me with the window of opportunity it gave them (I have a friend who was DJ, Cardio Thoracic surgeon and then went onto get a MBA and is now a COO of a FMCG company!! Another who was a Pilot before he changed over and now works with the Marketting department of an Automotive company).

The new board system seems to be encouraging this in India, but will the DGCA accept this? Also it still bamboozles me as to what use does the chemistry taught in Indian schools in grade 11 and 12 has to ensure exclusive domain to the aviation industry. Why cannot grade 10 PCM in India be sufficient as for the most part that tends to be grade 12 PCM in other countries????

Till we keep being competitivve and forcing such rules I am not sure the problem of unemployment of the 100's of pilots as well as debate on this forum will end as it lacks the clear thought process that the Indian government seems to have had in the past. Maybe a petition is due considering the rules of education have been changed now, otehrwise a new situation on DGCA rejecting kids from CBSE system might arise!!!!!