PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continually failing RAF Fitness Test.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 23:30
NP20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I support the argument in favour of being able to choose to run either a 1.5 mile or a shuttle run, but some of the comment on this thread is laughable.

To suggest that this is some ruse to cut down on manning numbers and save money by discharging personnel without a pension is ludicrous. Just how many people and how much money would we save by doing this? - utter nonsense.

Likewise the argument that somebody who has failed and undergoing the remedial (reconditioning?) could be distracted at work through fear of being admin discharged. To follow this argument would suggest that we should also throw out disciplinary measures for all breaches of Air Force Law in case such action lead the individual concerned to have a lapse of concentration which may cause an accident later on. To avoid such occurrences we practice good man-management - as you would if one of your subordinates was in the poop for failing a fitness test, drink driving, habitual lateness etc; i.e. interview, counseling, monitoring performance, get their Line Managers (& peers) to keep an eye on them, etc.

Finally, if you have dodgy knees, bad back, weak ankles etc, don't you owe it to yourself to get it sorted through the Medics (or BUPA if you don't trust Service Medics)? I'm sure that the argument has already been made about medical pensions being granted through evidence, which would be lacking if you hid these conditions throughout your career. Additionally, are you able to operate safely if you are covering up having such medical conditions (& can you make an honest, objective appraisal of whether it does or does not affect your performance)?

Some of the posters on this thread are the living, breathing, embodiment of the Daily Mail, given to knee jerk opinions and hyperbole.