PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Check Out Question....
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 21:52
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Sometimes I have seen a tendancy to treat type checks in a rather casual manner because it is not percieved as "real" training like that given for a higher license or rating. I think it is reiterate the importance of

1) making clear who the PIC is

2) a preflight brief on what the flight profile will look like including where and how all manoevers/exercises will be carried out

3)Describe exactly how simulated emergencies will be carried out

4) In the event of a real emergency, define the duties and responsibilties of each pilot.

In my case if I am doing type conversion training it will go as follows.

1) I am the PIC

2) A briefing appropriate to the flight which could be quite short (a quick circuit check) to quite detailed (the first flight on an unusual aircraft like a YAK).

3) I will detail how I will simulate the emergency (eg retard the throttle for an engine failure) and note all emergency will be verbalized by me with the word "simulated" followed by the emergency type so there is no confusion on what is happening.

4) In the event of a real emergency I will assume control and the student will be responsible for handling the radio (under my direction) and reading checklists called for by me.