PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 accidents: Is there a pattern?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 18:15
tony 1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my thoughts

chopper.al
Its a great idea but how would you police such a thing, most PPL's take somewhere between 6 months to two years to complete due to work, family, or finances or whatever else gets in the way. Its just not practical to make some one do it in six months (or even a year come to that).
military training is completely different to civvy, the military will test and weed out people before they even get near an aircraft.
It seems strange that we seem to be laying the blame at schools/instructors, we all know that some people are better pilots than others, it comes down to age, ability and what kind of a day they are having as well as training and aircraft.
Not every instructor is just there for the money and to move on to a "proper job", but being paid by the hour and poorly at that sucks. Some FI's may fly when they feel the weather is not really suitable, that trial lesson that just wants to look at the view, take pictures (this is classed as AOC work in the UK), when knackered, pissed off and really shouldnt be in the air.
I have come across an FI (luckily not rotary) who was a liability, poorly taught students, turns up pissed, sits in the aircraft and lets students infringe controlled airspace.....

Veeany said "Is it right for examiners to fly over MAUW rather than split LSTs in two because they would need to refuel ? I suggest not, but it is happening. What message is that sending to the new pilots ?"

No its not right, sometimes they are overweight for an LPC let alone an LST....

I still dont see the sense in a system that will not let you land off an airfield in a helicopter, thats what they are for....