PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 212
Thread: Bell 212
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 15:32
PolarisPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bell 212. How do you calculate hover power (or torque) required given the WAT?

Hi All,
I am new to the Bell 212 and I must say she is a wonderful bird to fly. New to this forum too, so hope I'm not committing any syntax error or one of etiquettes on this post.
I have some flying in the Military, and we had all been used to a wonderful graph that told us what would be the hover collective pitch required (or hover torque depending on the type) for a given set of conditions (WAT). You guessed it right, I was flying the Alouette first and also have some experience on the Euro oriented machines.
The Bell 212 Manual, somehow doesn't seem to have this type of graph. I recently had a case where the folks on the platform measured the load in Kg and passed it to me without specifying it wasn't in Lbs. Fortunately the wind was about 25 kts offshore, so it wasn't an issue, but I did feel the torque required to hover on deck was a wee bit more than I was used to for a similar load. The actual load of course was weighed in my presence on landing, which is
The question is, here, that I do not have a ready reference to tell me in the cockpit what is my AUW for that particular torque (and vice versa). Temperatures here ordinarily range in the mid 30s so it really is an issue. In the trusty old Alouette, one could work backwards from the hover power, temp and also the wind, what exactly the weight of the helicopter was. No luck in any document I looked into for the 212. Would be grateful for any information, and also any logic why this has not been included in the basic RFM please.
I also read in a post by Rotorbike on 23 May 02, that the allowable load reduces to just 10280 at 38 degrees. Now, is that IGE or OGE, TOP or MCP, Cat A or not, and is it for offshore or onshore? Can anyone help
Also interesting was the discussion on OEI while coming in to land. I survive to tell the tale and so does the whirlybird. That would be a topic for another post, of course