PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continually failing RAF Fitness Test.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 10:23
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will formally have a medical review before my next test and get my 'fit to complete the test' in writing. I will then store document in the 'sue the military file' for as long as is required. FWIW I do not believe that logical response is being applied or at least one with long term thought.
TM - dead right. Without going in to boring detail, if anything during your military career does you permanent damage then you have a claim when you leave (or when you are still in).

Whether you are successful with your claim will depend as much on the "evidence" of culpability that you can provide as it will on the nature of the injury.

I'm no longer prone to naivety, but back when I was in I was somewhat more trusting. As a result I now carry two permanent scars of military medical incomptence, both signifcant enough to affect lifestyle choices, but I have no claim, because I never kept a record of the events leading to them.

I have a pal of the same vintage as me who got a full medical discharge as the RAF destroyed his knees - he now enjoys a full tax free pension as a result - but he had a long hard fight to win his case.

To the inevitable response that claiming against this sort of injury is some form of "freeloading", I would highlight the point that TM and others make; specifically, that these injuries are not occuring in the line of duty, or in the pursuit of health and fitness. They are occuring because an unworkable policy is being pursued using dubious methods at the expense of common sense and pragmatiscm.

By the way...none of this is posted because I'm a couch potato who hates sports and the fitness facists. I'm quite a fit old b*****r myself.