PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continually failing RAF Fitness Test.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 10:00
BEagle

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts
Despite surviving my first 30 or so years of RAF service without the apparent need for this fitness test, I passed my last one about a month before I pulled the B&Y. Yes, I avoided taking the bŁoody things whenever I could - particularly when within weeks of my 50th birthday they raised the age bar which was just coming into view....

But from what I've learned since, the main dissatisfaction is indeed at the ever-changing goal posts. I can understand that a Rock gunner needs to be pretty damn fit - but the enforced buggeration on others 'of a certain age' with no real cause seems a bit counter-productive.

Of course if you start people off in the modern 'strength through joy' ways of the RAF, it will be easier for them to maintain higher standards of physical fitness throughout their service. But trying to enforce a large character change on the old, bold and cuddly with the threat of administrative action for failing to run round a gym (whatever that is) after 30+ years of loyal, hard-working service is surely taking things a bit far.

All stick and no carrot....

As for aircrew, you should have seen the enormously fat gits who flew me across on a US Airways flight from Gatwick to Philadelphia! I thought the captain was going to pass out as he wheezed and waddled past my seat on the way to his rest area at the back of the Business Class section..... In 35 years in the RAF I never saw any 'truckies' or others who came anywhere close to being such a lardarse.