PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel-Air Westwind Ditching off NLK
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 09:13
mattgitau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's interesting sitting here watching everyone giving there expert opinions with the benefit of hindsight and without the operational pressures the crew were under at the time.

Regardless of what we may think or how we think we may have done things different from an operational and planning point of view, I think Dom deserves some praise and credit for making what has to be one of the most difficult command decisions any aircraft would ever want to have to make.

I wonder how many of you, put in the same situation, would have had the courage to make the ultimate command decision and ditch the aircraft.

I think there would be some of you who would have continued the approach below minimas and tried to land (with probably disastrous results), and probably a similar number of you who would have flown the aircraft until it simply ran out of fuel, because you wouldn't have had the courage to make the command decision that this crew did.

Should we not be learning and reflecting more on Command Decision making (more so, some of our own) as opposed to critizising the crew.