PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continually failing RAF Fitness Test.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 08:49
Toadstool

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
I am sure that many of the older personnel who huff and puff their way into the light blue category on the RAFT have seen many young 20/21 year old beanpoles banging out at level 6 or 7 but I would think that this is the exception rather than the rule.

I would hesitate to suggest that it is the older and/or slightly more portly individuals who are failing at a higher rate. These people probably have much more experience in their relevent trades. It is these people, who keep us flying, who we can ill afford to lose through administrative action. Can we at least try to give them a fitness test that is both fair and fit for purpose. If they can't do a bleep test because of dodgy knees, then allow them to do a 1 1/2 mile run to prove their fitness? If, because of knees/backs they are unable to do either of these, then give them a slightly harder bike test. If they fail any of these tests, then can we give them a choice to avoid administrative action leading to discharge, but perhaps reduce pay?

I appreciate that this may give the gym personnel more work to do, but this may be a small price to pay in order to retain valuable people.

I await the barage of abuse.