PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying for Lion Air
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 06:53
pmmartin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back flying corporate

If anyone is interested, I decided to take a corporate position here in the States. Lion Air would have been an interesting challenge, but there were a lot of concerns and no one to answer any questions. The contract was weak, and the first chance I would have had to speak with anyone from Lion Air would have been AFTER I paid for my type rating and went to Jakarta.

No disrespect to anyone climbing the aviation ladder, but I did hear that you could be paired with a very low time, pay-for-training first officer. In my opinion, to be flying a new jet in an unfamiliar environment is challenge enough even with an experienced first officer, let alone a 300 hour/no jet time co-pilot. I am not saying that a pilot with that experience can not be sharp, only that one of us ought to be very experienced in the airplane/operation.

Lastly, I did talk to a highly experienced American pilot with extensive international experience who did the Lion Air program, and he was very unimpressed with it. Just one person's opinion so take it for what it is worth, but personally I did value it.

Best of luck to all, better days are coming.