PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD 600 for loadlifting
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2009, 19:45
Hover Bovver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have never done any longlining in a 600 - but I do have about 700hrs normal time in one, and in my opinion , if you require to fly slow and out of trim (which I guess is a lot ?) it would be rubbish - It hates being flown out of trim , has a nasty habit of tucking its nose if flown out of trim at about 20 knots , and you would be working your feet on the pedals like a tapdancer on speed ! (Anywere between 10 -40 kts is were you go from Notar for antitorque to the rear vertical fins , both of which work as rudders unless YSAS has been fitted, when one is controlled by the ysas actuator and one by the pedals)

Dont get me wrong I love the 600, if you want to get up and get going at 140 kts , it is really smooth , beats a squirrel in terms of real life cruise speed , and the ride is silky smooth (especially compared with the squirrel) - as long as it has been tracked properly ! It will not carry as many people in as much comfort , and has no luggage space - squirrel wins that one . But the less time you spend between 0-40 kts the better - quite why the police and border patrol bought the 600 for that role it would be awful !! Must have been a good salesman ! It has a few tricks to catch you out, but once you know them it is no problem - but I wouldnt rate it for longlining even if I have never done it That type of flying does not suit it.

HB
I