PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 7
Thread: Ryanair - 7
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2009, 10:32
Seat62K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EI-BUD,

A greater number of early morning and late evening departures is a feature of many Spanish domestic routes with multiple daily departures. The afternoon (siesta time, after all!) has always tended to be less busy. Public transport to/from airports reflects this, too. For example, the last metro from T4 at Barajas to the city leaves at 1.33 am.

In any case, if you look at next summer's schedule you'll find up to four flights a day between Madrid and Alicante in each direction. Indeed, as I left my Stansted-Madrid flight recently at around noon the passengers queuing to board this 'plane were bound for Alicante.

I really hope Madrid-Alicante/Valencia etc. works for Ryanair. For too many years I've been ripped-off by Iberia on the Madrid-Alicante route. At one point I thought the arrival of Spanair on the route would make a real difference. Some chance!

My understanding is that Iberia has already shown the white flag. Hasn't it announced that it will withdraw from the domestic market? Either that or transfer the operation to Vueling, which it was doing anyway (to Clickair)?

I do not think Ryanair need to worry about Renfe's AVE trains. Average fares on these services are high and don't look dissimilar to those for Iberia's flights between the same cities.

In addition to this, Adif (the body which runs Spanish train stations) x-rays all luggage airline-style and I've seen long queues of people queuing to board Renfe long-distance trains.

Last edited by Seat62K; 22nd Nov 2009 at 06:17.