PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tower or Enroute
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2009, 07:29
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anotherthing.... Humble apologies. I had no intention of suggesting that all radar was easy and the TMA controllers with whom I worked had my utmost admiration. They were nothing short of supermen/women and I could never have done their job.

I should have specifically referred to the job I did - Approach Radar for Heathrow, which hardly changed in the 30+ years I did it because there is a limit to the amount of traffic one can squeeze onto a runway whereas with the TMA and Area, they have constantly increasing traffic and work like trojans.

When the move to TC took place, a lot of older ATCOs chose to move and I think that was largely because they, like me, found the radar side far more leisurely than the Tower. Going up the stairs early on a foggy morning when one couldn't see much but aircraft were operating normally.. and then to learn that it was GMC to be relieved was akin to having a dreadful nightmare!!! On the other side of the coin, Approach Control, with LVPs, was like a rest home!