PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unemployed and Underground ...
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2009, 01:02
jethrotull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guitar,

I witnessed this same scenario in the early 90s when pvt airlines were allowed to mushroom in India. Fortunately for me i had a engg qulification which i could fall back on once i gave up flying.

Having been in the industry for 22yrs i've noticed that its the political classes who are to blame for the state of India's aviation. I've been always claiming that the growth of the ME airlines is at the cost of Indian jobs, unfortunately this post has vindicated my stance.

Well lets see what are your prospects if you are not os money bag or politically well connected, realistically speaking nil atleast for another 3-5yrs till the next cycle starts, by then the 3000 would have balloned to 5000 jobless pilots.

If i was you i would look at means to highlight the shortcomings of Indian aviation by going to schools and colleges in across India and starting a debate on this. Believe me this will bring your case better into the attention of the powers that be rather than just ''PI$$XXX in the wind'' on pprune.
The Indian politician are corrupt to the core, they have a share in every piece of the pie.
-Be it the agencies hiring the expat pilots.
-Be it dishing out liberal rights to ME airlines whilst denying access to Indian airlines.
-Orders for AI/IA.
-Airports
et al.

By highlighting the shortfalls of Indias aviation policy thru debate you can generate a goodwill and attract the media. There are scores of young girls who have paid hard earned savings of their aging parents aspiring to be airhostesses. You see the younger generation in schools and colleges would be enthusiastic to take up your cause for obvious glamorous reasons.
Aviation has the potential to be a huge industry in India and generate jobs for the growing numbers of Indias youth. This has to approached cleverly. Do not get involved with any political party and get marginalised. The media also loves to see the anguish of ''pretty wanna be trolley dollies and Clever by half 'Tom cruises''. Get your airtime to spin the debate.
I am led to believe there are quite a few apprentice mechanics seeking employment.

Be humble in including everyone in to your cause and ensure you generate the debate on Indias aviation policy, don't limit it to expats, they are but just one of the issues. Indian aviation is being milked by the likes of BA, EK, EY, QR, SQ and LH. Each of these airlines generate nothing less than 10% of their revenue from the Indian sector (this can be sourced from their annual returns stmt) and if you had to extrapolate that to their workforce it would amount to a lot of jobs.

AI/IA were the spoil sport duopolies which have been taken over by the 9W & IT duo. The Aviation policy has to be free and enabling for Indians to create the likes of a Southwest or a RyanAir.